Status: On display
The Cadillac of Bush Planes
The Stinson Reliant was introduced in 1936 and could accommodate a pilot and four passengers. It was manufactured by Stinson Aircraft Corporation in Michigan. The gull-wing Reliants were very popular airplanes and more than 1,000 of them were built before World War II. The fuselage, tail surfaces and wings were of welded steel-tube construction – typical of the period. The whole framework was covered with cotton.
The aircraft on display at the museum was owned by Canadian Airways from 1936 to 1941, when ownership was passed to Canadian Pacific Airways. This aircraft spent most of its life flying from Winnipeg and Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba. It was donated to the museum by the Richardson Foundation.
- Wingspan: 12.75 m (41′ 10″)
- Length: 8.36 m (27′ 5″)
- Height: 2.59 m (8′ 6″)
- Gross Weight: 1,678 kg (3,700 lbs)
- Engine: 260 hp Lycoming R-680-13
- Cruise Speed: 227 km/h (141 mph)
- Max. Speed: 235 km/h (147 mph)
- Max. Range: 998 km (620 miles)