Article: On the Break

  • Image of Vickers Wellington bombers in flight, c 1939

    September, 1962, The Roundel

    This month Air Marshall C.R. Dunlap, CBE, CD, becomes the seventh officer to assume the position of the RCAF chief of the air staff. On 15 September he takes over from A/M Hugh Campbell, CBE, CD, whose 31-year career we salute in a special four-page supplement.

    The new CAS was born in Sidney Mines, N.S., and after attending Acadia University and the Nova Scotia Technical College he joined the RCAF in 1928. Commissioned as pilot officer on appointment, he was awarded his pilot wings the following year, and prior to the war was engaged in aerial photography and air armament work. At the outbreak of war in 1939 he was director of armament at AFHQ, an assignment he filled for three years.

    Late in 1942, he was posted overseas to become commanding officer at RCAF Stn. Leeming No. 6 (Canadian) Bomber Group. In 1943, several weeks before the Sicilian campaign, he went to North Africa as CO of a Wellington bomber wing. He directed establishment of RCAF bases in Tunisia, receiving special commendation for the notable successes of his wing in carrying out strategic and tactical bombing in Sicily, Italy and Sardinia.

    Returning to Britain, he took command of a medium bomber wing engaged in daylight operations in 2nd Tactical Air Force. He flew on 35 operational trips while commanding the wing, which besides scoring outstanding successes against German V-1 and V-2 sites, operated in support of Allied ground forces. In January, 1945 he became CO of the Canadian bomber base at Middleton-St. George, Yorkshire.

    He returned to Canada in May 1945 as deputy air member for air staff at AFHQ. In 1946, he attended the Bikini atomic bomb tests as a RCAF representative and, before his appointment as air member for plans in October, 1948, was employed on special duties in the United States.

    In November, 1949 A/M Dunlap assumed the position of air officer commanding, North West Air Command, with headquarters in Edmonton. He was transferred to fill the same post at Air Defence Command, St. Hubert, in May, 1951, and three months later was appointed commandant of the National Defence College, Kingston.

    In June, 1954 he was appointed vice chief of the air staff, a position he held until June, 1958 when he became deputy chief of staff for operations at SHAPE, the post from which he comes to his new appointment.

    This article originally appeared in the September, 1962, issue of The Roundel.

Leave a Reply

* Name, Email, and Comment are Required