Status: No public access from June 12-16, 2017 while restoration work is being done. We apologize for any inconvenience. Stay tuned for a special unveiling ceremony.
When Passenger Travel Was Glamourous
Trans-Canada Air Lines was the first airline in North America to use turboprop aircraft. Not long after, many other American passenger airlines discontinued the use of piston-engined aircraft in favour of this new technology.
This British-built aircraft was operated by Trans-Canada Air Lines (later Air Canada) and entered into service in April, 1955, on scheduled flights between Montreal and Winnipeg.
The turboprop Viscounts were favoured for their speed, quietness and lack of vibration. The fleet of 51 Viscounts were used on all of TCA’s short-haul routes. This Viscount is likely intimately familiar with its home, as it operated from TCA’s Winnipeg hangar (now the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada) for many years.
The tail fin is higher than the hangar doors, so in order to move the aircraft in and out of the hangar, the nose wheel had (has) to be jacked up. TCA had a special jack for this purpose. It is on display adjacent to the Viscount. The aircraft on display was delivered to TCA in February, 1958 and was used until May, 1971. It found its permanent home at the Royal Aviation Museum of Western Canada in 1984.
- Wingspan: 28.55 m (93′ 8″)
- Length: 24.94 m (81′ 10″)
- Height: 8.46 m (27′ 9″)
- Engines: Four 1,450 hp Rolls Royce Dart 506 Turboprops
- Cruise Speed: 507 km/h (315 mph) at 4,267 m (14,000 ft.)
- Max. Range: 2,414 km (1,500 miles)
- Passengers: 48