Article: The Rapid Strides of Manitoba Aviation

  • StevensonAerodrome-copyright
    January, 1930, Western Canada Airways Bulletin

    If evidence were needed as to the rapid strides now being made in aviation in Manitoba, a visit to Stevenson Aerodrome should be sufficient to convince the most sceptical. Two years ago this area was bald, open prairie and when playing an early morning round of golf on the adjoining course one might easily have imagined oneself to be far removed from any busy, bustling metropolis. Then came the ubiquitous ‘Moths’ and as in due course the mosquitos were gradually got under control, the hum of the aeroplane became perceptible. As oil was poured into the ditches to exterminate the first, so equipment was installed to maintain the latter.

    We do not know whether the day of the ‘Moth’ is already numbered, but today ‘Wasps’ and ‘Hornets’ are increasing at a great rate and already outnumber the ‘Moths’ by a good margin. The new hangar which has been erected by Western Canada Airways at Stevenson Field is truly an imposing looking structure, though one cannot realize the immensity of the space enclosed, unless one walks around inside. At the time of our last visit there were eight large machines under cover and it appeared as if quite as many ‘Moths’ or ‘Avians’ could have been accommodated without any undue crowding.

    WCAirways-staff-copyright

    The main building is 100 x 150 feet and the main doors facing south are fronted by a large concrete apron on to which machines can be taxied and prepared for take-off. The main building is flanked on the east and west sides by wings of the lean-to type. This description scarcely does these wings justice as each is capable of housing the dismantled wing and fuselage of a mail plane and allowing comfortable room for working all round them.

    The west side is being fitted up as office and storeroom space. Outside on the southwest corner is a gasoline pump and fuel station. The hangar is by far the largest of its type west of the Great Lakes. The Winnipeg Flying Club and Northwestern Airways hangars lie to the north, so that when their equipment is added to that of Western Canada Airways, there must be about eighteen machines housed at Stevenson Aerodrome at the present time.

    This article originally appeared in the January, 1930 edition of the Western Canada Airways Bulletin.

Leave a Reply

* Name, Email, and Comment are Required