Status: Not on display
A Nice Idea, But…
Designed and built in Montreal in 1946, by Fairchild Aircraft Ltd., the Husky was intended to replace the pre-war bush planes such as the Norseman and the Fokker. It incorporated many of the features suggested by bush operators, such as the rear loading door, which enabled it to handle long loads. Because of its large cabin area and low-powered engine, it was very easy to overload.
Although the Fairchild Husky had many desirable features, it never became popular because of its underpowered 450 hp engine. Plans were made to refit the Husky with the 550 hp Leonides engine. The more powerful engine greatly improved performance, but by this time the Fairchild Company was in financial difficulties. The de Havilland Beaver – on the market at the same time – was so successful, that Husky production stopped after only 12 had been built.
The Husky was used by Manitoba Government Air Services (which had three), Sherritt Gordon Mines, Austin Airways, Nickel Belt Airways and others. They usually operated from either skis or floats.
This aircraft (serial #2) was flown from Vancouver to Winnipeg in the summer of 1984 by a museum member. It is the only remaining Husky still in a complete condition.
- Wingspan: 16.68 m (54′ 9″)
- Length: 11.40 m (37′ 5″)
- Height: 3.1 m (10′ 2″)
- Engine: 550 hp Alvis Leonides 503/8
- Cruise Speed: 193 km/h (120 mph)
- Max. Range: 1,046 km (650 miles)